Monday, June 15, 2015

Protein made easy and FAST!!!!

Good afternoon my loves,

I am not the type of girl that stays home and cooks for hours! I would hate that so much!! I am busy all the time and need fast good healthy eats. My typical day starts by opening my eyes and saying "I'm Late"! I feel like that Bunny in Alice N Wonderland that has that clock and is always running and always late.

I used to battle with making the perfect meal and that meant from scratch,  perfect proteins, carbs and juicing every day!! Then I would have to start the process of getting dressed and looking my best in that area and it just went on and on. One of the best things about getting older is that you really start to love yourself the way you are. Perfectly imperfect! I love everyone but if you don't like me, I'm okay with, that and it doesn't bother me a bit. I still love you though. Through life's lessons,  I've started  to realize how to make some areas in my life efficient.


My goal as a Health Coach is when I work with families or one on one to make food, FAST, EASY and GOOD! Every bodies body is different. I do not believe that one diet, one exercise, works for everyone. We all have different aches, pains, and struggles with our bodies and we need to figure out what works best for us.  I get asked a lot,  just tell me  what to do to fix me. That's like asking a professional MMA fighter to teach you everything he knows in 30 minutes. Impossible!  It took a while for you to get to this point and it will be a journey back. This time though, it will be a beautiful journey back!


Let's chat protein. When you think of protein, what is the first word that comes to play? Chicken, or maybe peanut butter. What are protein sources? How much? How often? I want to encourage you to look outside the box today and think about some great alternatives that are FAST, EASY, and GOOD!


Grains
Brown rice provides 5 grams and 1 cup of cooked quinoa provides 9 grams. Seitan, or isolated wheat gluten, is much higher in protein, with 31 grams of protein in a 3-ounce serving. Japanese Soba Noodles provides 5.8g protein per 1 cup. Kamut provides 9.8g cooked per cup. Amarath cooked provides 9.3g per cup.

Legumes
Legumes include some of the most common protein sources, such as soy, lentils, black beans, chickpeas, peanuts and peanut butter. These foods are much higher in protein than most grains, with a single serving providing between approximately 14 and 89 percent of your daily intake. For example, 1 cup of cooked lentils contains 18 grams of protein, 1 cup of chickpeas contains 12 grams and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter provide 8 grams of protein. Soy products, which provide all essential amino acids, vary in their protein content. For example, 1 cup of cooked soybeans contains 29 grams, while 1 cup of tempeh contains 41 grams of protein. I had to add in this little crazy fact.  I bet you never heard of Moth beans or mat bean. It is a drought resistant legume, commonly grown in arid and semi-arid regions of India. The pods, sprouts and protein rich seeds of this crop are commonly used in India.  100g of raw, uncooked moth bean seeds contain343 calories, 23 grams of protein.

Nuts and Seeds
The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans includes nuts and seeds among the recommended protein sources for vegetarians and all people.  Examples of nuts that are high in protein include almonds, with 8 grams in 1/4 cup, and cashews, with 5 grams of protein in 1/4 cup. Although they contain less protein than legumes, seeds contain similar amounts of protein as nuts. A 1-ounce serving of roasted pumpkin or squash seeds contains about 9 grams, 1 ounce of roasted sesame seeds contains 5 grams and 1 ounce of dried chia seeds contains 5 grams of protein. Using these values, a serving of nuts or seeds can provide approximately between 8 and 19 percent of your daily protein intake. You can add these bad boys into your eggs, shakes, and oats.

 Eggs
 Bird's eggs contain different amounts of protein. For example, 1 large, white chicken egg contains 4 grams of protein, while 1 duck egg contains 9 grams of protein.


I belive in meat and I think God put meat here for us to eat.  Again, going back to everyones body is different. I myself, do not eat meat. I love going to bed and putting quinoa in the crock pot, then done like magic in the morning.  Then I can toss that into a salad, with dinner, make morning porridge. Its already made for you!


Morning Quinoa Porridge
2 cups of Quinoa that I usually have left over from dinner
1 cup of flax seed milk with pea protein in it. 
1 teaspoon of raw honey
pinch of Ceylon cinnamon 
pinch of nutmeg
let shimmer in pot and holy goodness! 

Peace in Your Hearts,
Bethany Montecalvo
Pittsburgh Holistic Health Coach
PittsburghBethanyHealthCoach.com
Pittsburgh Union Makeup Artist
BethanyMontecalvo.com
Fierce Wellness Warrior
Goorganicbam.blogspot.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment